Is ATM card cloning possible? Yes
Skimmer devices copy data of ATM cards inserted by the customers for withdrawing money from ATMs. Digital micro-cameras were installed in such a manner that they copied the pin numbers pressed by the customers for withdrawing money
Intelligent criminals who replicate Automated Teller Machine (ATM) cards and go on to wipe out people’s accounts are present in Ghana, take it or leave it.
1. ATM safety tips:
– Never give your card to someone at an ATM for any reason.
– Never let anyone assist you at an ATM, even if they appear to be a bank official or security personnel.
– Beware of people standing close to you when you are concluding transactions at an ATM.
– Ensure you hide your pin when keying it into an ATM.
– Never use an ATM that looks tampered with or damaged.
– Always use an ATM in a well-lit area.
– If possible, use an ATM that is monitored by a CCTV camera.
2. Shopping Safety Tips:
– Ensure your card never leaves your sight. Most restaurants and shops have portable card swipe machines so there should be no reason for your card to leave your presence. If the person needs to use a different machine always accompany that person.
– Ensure that your card is not swapped for another card after paying.
– Use cash instead of your card if you have any suspicions.
– Monitor your bank statements for any unusual transactions.
– If married, reconcile your account transactions with your spouse on a regular basis.
ALSO, READ: ATM card cloning on the rise in Ghana
Safety tips for ATM users
7 ATM Security Tips You Need to Know in 2021 and beyond
- Choose your ATM carefully. …
- Always be aware of your surroundings. …
- Lock your doors at drive-thru ATMs. …
- Watch out for card skimmers. …
- Don’t let anyone see your PIN. …
- Don’t count money in front of the ATM. …
- If someone demands your money, comply to avoid being hurt or killed.